Bethel Park Republican Committee: In 1998 when Allegheny County voted to become home rule there were provisions included to protect County government from "undue influence" of state and federal elected officials. One provision was that you cannot work for a state or federal elected official and you cannot run for another office while serving on Allegheny County Council.
This provision was included in the Home Rule Charter to protect the TAXPAYER. Vote NO!
1. There is no benefit to the taxpayer.
2. It's been in the home rule charter since day 1.
3. They knew this when they ran for office.
4. County Council was set up as a part-time positions a check and balance to the Chief Executive. They wanted to encourage people to get involved and not use it as a stepping stone for higher office.
5. This is the only part-time elected office in our county government.
6. Prevents council members from using this position to politic for higher office.